Nine Elms is booming. To keep up with the flourishing community, a major increase in transport capacity is under way. New links to the centre of London will vastly improve services to and from the area. Key upgrades include:
- The Northern Line Extension which will add two new tube stops at Battersea Power Station and Nine Elms on Wandsworth Road. The stations are set to open by 2020 and will improve access to and from The City, the West End and other major residential and employment centres. The Government confirmed a £1bn loan guarantee to fund the project. Find out more here.
- The Vauxhall bus, tube, and rail interchange is being improved to increase capacity and ease passenger flow.
- The Vauxhall gyratory is being redesigned to reduce congestion and create a more pedestrian and cycle friendly environment with improved access to the riverside.
- A new pedestrian and cycle bridgeis planned to provide another direct link to Westminster on the opposite side of the Thames.
- A linear park, Nine Elms Park, will run through Nine Elms following the line of the river. It will provide 11 acres (over four hectares) of new open parkland stretching from Vauxhall to Battersea Power Station.
- A new extension of Thames River Path will open along the full length of the area (new sections at Riverside Gardens, Riverlight and Battersea Power Station have now opened) and a network of cycle and footpaths is being introduced.
- Two new passenger piers will connect Nine Elms on the South Bank to London Riverbus services. The new MBNA Thames Clippers pier opens at Battersea Power Station in autumn 2017.
- New bus routes are being introduced through Nine Elms and improvements made to existing services. Routes 452 and 436 have been extended through the area.
- The Santander Cycles network has been expanded across the regeneration area.
- An innovative redesign of Queens Circus Roundaboutin north Battersea separates cyclists from other traffic and provides new pedestrian crossings.
The adopted Nine Elms on the South Bank Cycling Strategy can be found here.